Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The hit of the Par-Tay

I wish I could blog about everything we've been up to...
but lately, it just seems like it's not humanly possible to do both.

Here are a few highlights...

One morning, Nator peeked through the rain-filled window and said,
"Today is going to be a great day!
I can feel it from my head to my toes!"
The next day, the radio went out {temporarily}
in DK's car and she said,
"Everything is going wrong today!"

Drama.

After a hard work-out on the elliptical machine {early} one morning,
I sprinted upstairs to help the girls with schoolwork
after preparing breakfast. 
My. Legs. Burned.
I doubled over as I waited for the pain to subside while crying, "Owwwww...."
Without missing a beat, Gracie said,
"You can do it!  You are worth it!"
{something I currently have written -to myself- on my bathroom mirror
with eyeliner... because sometimes,
you just have to be your own cheerleader}
So. Funny.

 Saturday evening, I baked cookies and prepared hot chocolate
for all of us to enjoy while looking at Christmas lights.
I know.
They couldn't believe it either.
{About the 'hot-chocolate', that is.}



We shared discussions about whether or not a snowman
was actually clothed or not.
Good times.

I finally watched Julie and Julia.
I can honestly say... I've have never {EVER}
been so determined to reach a goal as Julie was.
I mean, who {in their right mind} would consider
boiling a hoof?! Blech!
Did I mention that I am a newly converted
vegetarian? ;)

Speaking of cooking...
I made some yummies that I thought you would
THOROUGHLY enjoy!
We've enjoyed this recipe for years.
{Temporarily disregard anything related to 'health' on this blog.}
Believe me... you will be the hit of the par-tay
with this lil' goodie in-hand.

HOMEMADE CARAMEL POPCORN

14 c. popped popcorn
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. butter
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. baking soda

With a stick-a-buddah, this sounds very Paula Deen-ish, no?

First of all, I'm sure I use more than 14 cups of popcorn.
I simply fill one of those large aluminum pans
{eliminating as many kernels as possible} to nearly overflowing.
Grease your pan {and a large spoon for mixing}.
{confession:  I almost always make 2 batches... to share, of course}



In a heavy saucepan, mix brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt.



Cook over medium heat,
stirring until mixture reaches soft ball stage {238 degrees}.



Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and baking soda.



Pour over popped corn and stir thoroughly.

Bake at 275 degrees for about 1 hour...
stirring every 10 minutes.

While cooling, occasionally stir.
Presto!



This year, our girls gave this homemade treat as gifts to
their scout leaders and dance teacher.



You pack the best caramel covered pieces for such an occasion.
You wouldn't want to give crumbs...



Nope.
Those must be eaten thrown away.

Let me know if you try it.
You won't regret it.
Well, only if Jillian Michals finds out...
but I think even SHE would find this treat irresistible!

Wait... I think I just heard the Michillan man calling me.
He wants his waistline back.

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully my hubby won't read this. He LOVES caramel corn. Then he would add that to the list of things I need to make for him.

    Veggie eater, huh? What made you leave the land of us meat eaters? I give you credit. But, I can't give up my chicken. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH honey......seriously!? The Michelin man?! You could indulge just a little and not look like the Michelin man ;)
    Yummy looking popcorn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I would feel slightly betrayed if I caught Jillian with caramel corn. Shouldn't she be indulging with a rice cake spread with a tiny bit of jelly? THAT woman is hardcore, and she scares me a tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my word! that looks SO yummy! Might make a batch or two today to give away! (of course)

    and i got the biggest giggle out of does a snowman wear clothes or not! ha

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy reading what you have to say... It makes my day! ;)

{If you have a question, I will do my best to respond here, on your site, or via email.}