Thursday, April 9, 2009

Completion of the 30x5

Thank God for Linda. I stumbled on her blog while searching for an online blog buddy that could encourage me in my mission to get back on track with health and exercise. It just so happens that she was heading up the "30x5" exercise challenge. I've managed to keep my commitment, but I know that I need to continue. They say it takes 21 days to create a habit, but with exercise (for me) I'm afraid it takes more. So even though I may not feel like it now, I will continue... No excuses.

I have been down the road of optimal health and was in the gym 5-6 days a week. I had it all figured out... or so I thought. However, when life threw me a curve ball it was easier than I imagined to get off-track. I want to, no... I need to keep my focus. I don't think I've lost any weight yet. I refuse to get on the scale right now. I say, "Scale, shmale!!"

So, let's focus on the positives:
  1. Ok. The obvious. It allows me to fit into clothes. It's my preferred measuring stick.
  2. It makes me a better wife and mother, which is the most important benefit to me.
  3. I have more energy & better mental focus.
  4. They say it will help me live longer. Thus the saying, "Exercise doesn't take time, it gives time." Better to make the sacrifice now than to pay for the consequences later, eh?
  5. It gives me a better positive outlook on life with all those wonderful endorphins it releases.

Things I've learned:

  1. I cannot buy Cliff Bars for the girls anymore. I eat too many of them! We will survive without them and our wallet will be thankful for it.
  2. I need to set the example for my girls that it's important to take time taking care of yourself.
  3. I do have time for exercise, I just need to rearrange my priorities.
  4. When I'm thinking about exercise, I should jump on it before I talk myself out of it!! Watching Biggest Loser alone will not cause spontaneous weight loss.
  5. If I want my dog to walk on the treadmill, I will have to contact Ceasar Millan myself. It didn't go as planned. (mental note: always be aware of where you rest your arm while trying to get your dog to walk on the treadmill. stay away from the accelerate button!) Poor Jasmine. She's fine now... nothing a little Millan therapy couldn't fix, I'm sure.

So, having said all of that... I reached my first goal in keeping my routine consistent with the 30x5! Thanks, Linda!!

(Ugh... I can't get the picture of my hard-earned trophy to attach! I'm tech-challenged! Make that #6 on my second list. ;)

7 comments:

  1. Hey "Hot mama!" That is exactly what my husband calls me. I thought I was the only one!

    Good job on the "moving it!" (I came over from Linda's blog.) Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo you did great. I have tried the whole treadmill thing with Ginger and she did not like it so much. She would not go near me for a day from fear I might put her on it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO with you girl - scale shmale! :)

    I feel a lot better after these 2 weeks, but I'm still afraid to step on the scale and find out I have lost ZERO.

    It sounds like Linda has another challenge up her sleeve - I can't wait! I need all of the motivation and accountability I can get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey H-Mama, I see I'm not the only one up this late at night! LOL! I just saw your comment that you left on my blog, just a few minutes ago. I'm actually heading to bed now, but wanted to leave you a comment. You're doing such a great job with your exercise routine! I wish I could join in, but I've been sick and struggling with upper respiratory issues from a bad virus a couple of months ago, so I can't get back to exercising yet. Hopefully soon though! Keep up the good work and thanks for stopping by my blog again. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a pleasure to share the renewed commitment to exercise with others! I did the challenge too and am loving it. But I'm with you on the scale-shmale thing. The scale is not my friend right now. Have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Keep it up. Are you sure watching Biggest Loser won't cause spontaneous weigh loss? I mean, it would be so much easier...
    Okay, well at least this year I've stopped eating dessert while I watch the show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a massive force to be reckoned with in this challenge, H-Mama. I'm counting on you to come back after Easter and motivate everyone. This post really inspired me to keep going. Loved your observations.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy reading what you have to say... It makes my day! ;)

{If you have a question, I will do my best to respond here, on your site, or via email.}